- Do not make more than one submission per submission period.
- We do not accept e-mail submissions; all work must be submitted through Submittable.
- Please send all work in one file.
- Our team is filled with creatives who understand the agony of the wait. We will respond to your work within Two months, if not sooner.
- Simultaneous submissions are fine, but please notify us immediately if your work is accepted elsewhere.
- We do not accept previously published works.
- There are no format restrictions. Limit your submission to 5 poems totaling no more than 10 pages.
- Authors should limit submissions to no more than 15 pages in total.
- Authors should limit submissions to no more than 15 pages in total. We are not looking for academic essays.
- There are no medium or style restrictions. Please limit your submission to no more than 5 works.
- Please list titles for each work and include an artist’s statement in your cover letter.
Poetry & Fiction
Nonfiction & Art
WE ARE A PAYING MARKET
We’re paying $5 per accepted piece
Each year, usually in the winter, we hold an open reading period for chapbooks and occasionally for novellas and full-lengths. These readings include the whole team and selections are made on a majority vote. Each summer we also hold a contest where a judge outside of the current masthead will select a winner and us an editors’ pick.
Guidelines & Notes
- For chapbook manuscripts of poetry, fiction, & nonfiction we’re looking for work between 18 and 60 pages (we don’t mind small variances).
- We would prefer to read a document that is letter sized, in 10, 11, or 12 point font, and as a .doc(x) or a .pdf format.
- Manuscripts may contain work that has been published elsewhere as long as you have the rights to them.
- We only accept work through submittable. Please do not email submissions to any of our editors!
- We pay our authors royalties on books sold and cover all costs of publishing.
- Our books are distributed with Small Press Distribution.
© Variant Literature Inc 2021